Family Benefits Advice Service
As a parent, do you know where to start in finding out what benefits and entitlements are available to you? This is where our Family Benefits Advice Service can help.
Our charity provides free, impartial and confidential advice to parents on the financial support available with childcare as well as other help that you may be entitled to. Our advisors also provide guidance to employers on issues relating to childcare, employment entitlements and workplace legislation. We do this through our Freephone helpline 0800 028 3008 and by delivering advice sessions directly to parents, for example in libraries, Sure Start groups, parents and tots groups etc.
We can help, if you are a parent with dependent children, and you are:
- Unsure of which benefits you may be entitled to receive if you start or go back to work.
- A new parent looking at finding and paying for childcare for the first time.
- Unable to work due to childcare costs.
- Thinking about changing your hours of work.
- Trying to find the best childcare option for your family.
- Struggling to manage work and family responsibilities.
Remember, even though you are working, you may still be entitled to financial help!
Maximise income, know your rights
Information required for a calculation
Our advisors carry out “better off” calculations to help parents choose the best financial support available to them towards the cost of childcare, maximise their incomes and identify other benefits they may be entitled to. These calculations can be based on a number of different scenarios to enable you to assess how any decision you may make will impact on your household income. It is helpful if you have the following information ready when you call:
- P60 income for previous tax year
- Estimated earnings and weekly working hours for this tax year
- Childcare costs
- Any disability or sickness benefits in payment
- Housing costs including rates
- Details of Maternity Leave and Pay
- Immigration status if applicable
Get in touch for more information or call 0800 028 3008 to speak to a trained Family Benefits Advisor. This service is free, impartial and confidential.
What form of support is best for your family?
The support that is best for you will depend on factors such as your household income, the number of children in the family, childcare costs, and whether a child or family member has a disability.
It is important that working parents make an informed choice when choosing which form of financial support towards the cost of registered childcare best suits their family’s needs. We have published a ‘Guide to registered childcare costs‘ which provides an overview of the various forms of financial support available and may be a useful resource. In addition, our Family Benefits Advice Service offers one-to-one advice that can help you make that informed choice.
Employers For Childcare is a member of Helplines Network NI. For information on other helplines and support services available visit Helplines Network NI.