Tax Credit Renewal Deadline Fast Approaching!
Don’t delay – renew today!
The Tax Credits renewal deadline is 31 July 2017. If you don’t renew your Tax Credits award on time your payments will stop. You’ll be sent a statement and will have to pay back the Tax Credits you’ve received since 6 April 2017.
If you are claiming Tax Credits you should have received your annual renewal pack from HMRC. Renewal packs are sent between April and June. If you have not yet received your pack contact the Tax Credit Helpline immediately. The phone number is 0345 300 3900. Further contact details can be found online at: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/tax-credits-enquiries
Checking your renewal pack
At this time of year HMRC check your circumstances to ensure that you are receiving the correct amount of Tax Credits. They will check that the amount you received in the previous year was correct, that your payments are adjusted according to changes in income and circumstances, and that you are still entitled to Tax Credits.
When you receive your renewal pack you need to check the information carefully and tell the Tax Credit Office immediately if anything has changed or if the details are wrong or incomplete.
If incorrect information is submitted you may be underpaid or overpaid for the next year. If you are overpaid you will have to pay the extra amount back to HMRC through deductions being taken from future Tax Credit awards.
To renew your Tax Credits award, it is helpful to have the following documents and information relating to the year 6 April 2016 to 5 April 2017 to hand:
- P60, P45 or your March payslip
- Registered childcare provider bills
- Tax Credits award notices from throughout the year
- Annual Personal Pension Plan statements
- You and your partner’s (if applicable) total income for the last tax year including any taxable benefits e.g. Contribution Based Jobseeker’s Allowance and other income such as interest on savings.
How to renew
There are three ways to renew your Tax Credits:
- Renew online at https://www.gov.uk/manage-your-tax-credits. Your renewal pack will include a 15 digit online reference number which you will need to renew online. To use the online service for the first time you will first need to register for a Government Gateway account. To register you must have a permanent National Insurance number. The account allows you to renew your Tax Credits and, going forward, you can use it to check and manage your HMRC records.
- Phone the Tax Credits helpline on 0345 300 3900 (0345 300 3909 textphone). Remember, at this time of year the helpline can get very busy, particularly in the run up to the deadline.
- Return your form in the post. If you choose this method make sure you keep a copy of the form and it is advisable to send your letter by recorded delivery or ask for proof of postage.
If you would like more information on Tax Credits, or any other family benefit or entitlement, please phone our Family Benefits Advice Service on Freephone 0800 028 3008.