Important advice for Tax Credit claimants

If you are claiming Tax Credits you should receive your annual renewal pack from HMRC between now and the end of May 2022. The renewal ensures that the amount you received in the previous year was correct, so you need to check the information carefully and tell the Tax Credit office immediately if anything has changed or if the details are wrong or incomplete.

If incorrect information is submitted you may be underpaid or overpaid for the next year, and could potentially have deductions taken from future Tax Credit awards.

What you should do with your renewal pack

If your renewal pack has a red line across the first page and it says ‘Reply Now’ the Tax Credits renewal deadline is the 31 July 2021. You will need to follow the instructions in the pack which tell you how to renew your Tax Credits. If you don’t renew your Tax Credits award on time your payments will stop.

If your renewal pack has a black line across the first page and says ‘Check Now’, check your details to make sure they’re correct. You do not need to do anything if your details are correct. Your Tax Credits will be automatically renewed.

If you expect your income in the current year (2022/23) to decrease or increase by more than £2,500 compared with the previous tax year (2021/2022), or have other changes in household circumstances, you must tell HMRC as it may adjust your award.

You can provide or update your information either:

  • using the Tax Credits Helpline, 0345 300 3900
  • by posting the renewal form back to HMRC, or
  • online via GOV.UK or the HMRC app.

HMRC has released a video to explain how Tax Credits claimants can use the HMRC app to view, manage and update their details.

We are here to help

If you have had a change in your household circumstances or income, you may be considering moving to Universal Credit. We recommend that you speak to an independent benefits advisor before making a claim for Universal Credit. Making a claim for Universal Credit will automatically terminate your Tax Credit entitlement and you cannot return to Tax Credits, even if you find you are worse off on Universal Credit.

 If you wish to find out more about what financial support you may be entitled to, contact our Family Benefits Advice Service for free, impartial and confidential advice on Freephone 0800 028 3008 or email