Tax Credit Renewals – It’s that time of year again!
If you are claiming Tax Credits you should have received, or will soon receive, your Annual Renewal pack from HMRC. Renewal packs are sent between April and June. Call the Tax Credit Helpline if you don’t receive your renewal pack by 30 June.
HMRC will use your renewal pack to check your circumstances and ensure that you are receiving the correct amount of Tax Credits. They will check that the amount you received in the previous year was correct, that your payments are adjusted according to changes in income and circumstances, and that you are still entitled to Tax Credits.
When you receive your renewal pack you need to check the information carefully and tell the Tax Credit Office immediately if anything has changed or if the details are wrong or incomplete.
If incorrect information is submitted you may be underpaid or overpaid. If you are overpaid you will have to pay the extra amount back to HMRC through deductions being taken from future Tax Credit awards.
To renew your Tax Credits award, it is helpful to have the following documents relating to the year 6 April 2017 to 5 April 2018 to hand:
- P60, P45 or your March payslip
• registered childcare provider bills
• Tax Credits award notices from throughout the year
• Annual Personal Pension Plan statements
• taxable state benefits e.g. Contribution Based Jobseeker’s Allowance; and/or
• other income, such as interest on savings.
There are three ways to renew your Tax Credits:
- Phone the Tax Credits helpline on 0345 300 3900.
- Return your form by post. Ensure you keep a copy of the form and send your form by recorded delivery or ask for proof of postage.
- Renew online at www.gov.uk/manage-your-tax-credits. Your renewal pack will include a 15 digit online reference number which you will need to renew online.