Tax Credit Renewal Deadline is Looming!
It’s that time of year again! If you are claiming tax credits you should have received your annual renewal pack from HMRC. Renewal packs are sent between April and June. If you have not yet received your pack call the Tax Credit Helpline immediately!
Checking your renewal pack
At this time of year, HMRC checks your circumstances to ensure that you are receiving the correct amount of Tax Credits.
They will check that the amount you received in the previous year was correct, that your payments are adjusted according to changes in income and circumstances and that you are still entitled to tax credits.
When you receive your renewal pack you need to check the information carefully and tell the Tax Credit Office immediately if anything has changed or if the details are wrong or incomplete.
If incorrect information is submitted you may be underpaid or overpaid for the next year. If you are overpaid you will have to pay the extra amount back to HMRC through deductions being taken from future tax credit awards.
To renew your tax credits award, it is helpful to have the following documents relating to the year 6 April 2015 to 5 April 2016 to hand:
- P60, P45 or your March payslip
- Registered childcare provider bills
- Tax credits award notices from throughout the year
- Annual Personal Pension Plans statements
- Taxable state benefits e.g. Contribution Based Jobseeker’s Allowance and/or
- Other income, such as interest on savings
How to renew
There are three ways to renew your tax credits:
- Phone the tax credits helpline on 0345 300 3900 (0345 300 3909 textphone). A word of warning, at this time of year the helpline can get very busy, particularly in the run-up to the deadline.
- Return your form in the post. If you choose this method, make sure you keep a copy of the form and it is advisable to send your letter by recorded delivery or ask for proof of postage.
- Renew online. Your renewal pack will include a 15 digit online reference number which you will need to renew online. To use the online service you will first need to register for an online account. To register, you must have a permanent National Insurance number. The account allows you to renew your tax credits, going forward you can use it to check and manage your HMRC records.
Don’t delay – renew today!
The tax credits renewal deadline is the 31 July. If you don’t renew your tax credits award on time your payments will stop. You’ll be sent a statement and will have to pay back the tax credits you’ve received since 6 April 2016.
For more information on tax credits, or any other family benefit or entitlement, please phone our Family Benefits Advice Service on 0800 028 3008.