Cross Border families could benefit from new change in childcare support

A change in the law, which came into force on 21 March, means that if you are using a childcare provider located outside of the UK, you may now be able to claim support with your registered childcare costs through Tax-Free Childcare or Tax Credits, provided you meet all other eligibility criteria regarding working hours, pay and household circumstances.

This change will be particularly helpful for families in Northern Ireland who, due to where they live or work, are considering using a registered childcare provider located in the Republic of Ireland. Previously, they would not have been entitled to any financial support.

It is important to note that this change applies only to childcare support through Tax-Free Childcare and the Childcare Element of Working Tax Credits. There is no equivalent change in legislation relating to Universal Credit claimants or to Childcare Vouchers.

This is still a complex area for families, and if you think it might be relevant to you, we advise you to call our Family Benefits Advice Service on 028 9267 8200. Our trained advisors can help you work out if you are eligible for financial support as a result of this change. It’s free, impartial and confidential and lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm.