Date announced for the final Government cost of living payment
The UK Government has confirmed the payment dates for the last in the series of cost of living payments that it introduced in April 2023 as a response to the cost of living crisis. Those who receive the payments could have been entitled to up to £1,350 over the year. These support payments have been made in instalments to eligible households and are rolled out through the benefits system, enabling payments to be made directly to households with no application process required.
The Government currently has no plans to make any further cost of living support payments in 2024, and instead has highlighted the rise in benefits, state pension and housing support which come into effect in April 2024.
What payments have been announced?
The Government announced three types of cost of living support payments which were payable depending on household circumstances. These were three separate cost of living support payments totalling £900 for low income households, a £300 pensioner payment and a £150 disability payment. Of these the only remaining payment to be made is the final support payment for low income households.
- The third and final £299 low income cost of living payment will automatically be paid to eligible households between 6 and 22 February 2024.
Those eligible to receive the payment do not need to do anything to apply. If you are eligible (or if you are found to be eligible at a later date) you’ll be paid automatically in the same way you receive your normal benefit payments. However, if you receive a cost of living payment, but are later found not to have been eligible, you may have to pay it back.
This cost of living payment will be made separately from your normal benefit payments, is not taxable and will not affect any of the benefits or tax credits you normally get.
Who is eligible?
You may be eligible for this cost of living support payment if you receive certain benefits or Tax Credits. It does not matter whether or not you have received any of the previous cost of living support payments.
- This third and final low income cost of living payment, is payable to those who are entitled to (or later found to be entitled to) one of the qualifying low income benefits within the qualifying period of 13 November and 12 December 2023.
- Universal Credit
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
- Income related Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
- Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Those households in receipt of Child or Working Tax credits and none of the other benefits listed above, during the qualifying period, will receive the payment between 16 February and 22 February 2024.
- Those households in receipt of any of the other benefits listed above during the qualifying period will receive the payment between 6 February and 22 February 2024.
Further information on the Government’s cost of living payments is available here.
To make sure your family is claiming all the financial support you are entitled to, contact the Family Benefits Advice Service for a free, personalised ‘better off’ calculation. Freephone 0800 028 3008 or email email@example.com. Last year, where we provided a ‘better off’ calculation for families, we were able to identify an average of £5,600 in additional financial support.