Job Title: Sensory Assistant
Reporting to: General Manager
Contract type: Permanent
Hours of work: Minimum 30 hours per week
Salary: £12 per hour
Work pattern: Thursday to Sunday on a rota basis
Conditions of post: Rank Foundation funded posts. Must be willing to participate in training as per requirements of the funding. Entry level role for someone currently underemployed (eg working part time) or unemployed
High Rise is an indoor adventure centre in Lisburn with a Clip ‘n Climb arena, soft play, meeting rooms, sensory rooms, café and a Changing Places toilet. It is designed to be an inclusive and welcoming environment for all, including those with learning, physical and sensory difficulties. The Sensory Assistant will support guests to enjoy an immersive sensory experience, benefit from a calm and safe environment and develop their own confidence. This is a great opportunity for someone who would like to work directly with individuals with additional needs, their families, carers, and professionals in a fun and rewarding environment.
- Support guests to use and benefit from the Sensory Rooms in High Rise
- Help develop, prepare for and deliver sensory classes and other relevant training and activities eg sensory storytelling
- Support with events taking place within the centre eg parties, family fun days
- Support with marketing High Rise and the Sensory Rooms to individuals and groups
- Help raise awareness with colleagues around best practice in supporting guests with additional needs, Autism or sensory processing difficulties
- Ensure the Sensory Rooms are clean and well maintained in line with cleaning and maintenance schedules
- Respect each guest’s right to privacy and ensure that their dignity is always maintained
- Protect the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, following safeguarding procedures.
- Deal with queries and report any complaints or issues immediately management.
- Comply with all Health and Safety policies and procedures
- Report any faults or issues with the Sensory rooms, building or equipment management.
- Support and enforce all policies including on session times, payment and safe use of facilities
- Contribute to a good working environment and treat all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Comply with the organisation’s Security & Confidentiality policy
- Be flexible and willing to undertake a range of duties within High Rise to support colleagues as required and in line with the organisation’s aims and objectives.
This job description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and may be reviewed depending upon operational requirements and staffing levels.
The Personnel Specification shows essential and desirable skills, abilities, knowledge and/or qualifications required to be able to carry out the duties of this post.
Job Title: Sensory Assistant
|Qualifications and Experience
|· NVQ Level 2 qualification in a relevant discipline such as Educational Support, Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), Early Years, Child Development
· Minimum of 6 months experience working with children and/or adults with additional needs
|· Experience of working in a sensory room or environment
· First Aid at Work for children and/or adults
|Skills, aptitude, qualities, and behaviours
|· Good communication and people skills
· Warm, enthusiastic and friendly
· Empathetic and people-focused
· Keen to support people with additional needs and their families
· Professional and calm under pressure
· Creative and can think on your feet
· Good organising and planning skills
· Good IT skills including internet & Microsoft eg Word, Excel, Powerpoint
|Knowledge and understanding
|· Knowledge of approaches for supporting individuals with additional needs such as a learning disability, sensory processing disorder or Autism
|· Knowledge of communication techniques such as Makaton, PECS, TEACCH System etc
· Knowledge of Health and Safety and safeguarding legislation
|· Can work flexibly including alternative days and occasional evenings if required
· This post is subject to a basic criminal record disclosure check. This will be applied for through AccessNI
· Resident in the UK and eligible to work
Please note this position will remain open until it has been filled.
If you are interested in applying for this post please forward your CV here