Job Title: Operations Manager
Reporting to: Head of Business Operations
Contracted hours: 30 hours per week minimum (Thursday – Sunday)
Contract type: Permanent
The Operations Manager will support the Head of Business Operations in the day to day running of High Rise. This is a hands-on role and while the primary focus will be to manage the Clip ‘n Climb arena, the postholder will be responsible for health and safety and facility management across the whole centre.
Main Responsibilities include:
- Oversee the day to day management of all climbing operations, to include developing, reviewing and implementing effective procedures to ensure all guests enjoy a safe and fun experience.
- Oversee the safety briefings, climbing sessions, staff to guest ratios, and health and safety whilst providing excellent customer service.
- Ensure all staff are suitably trained and competent in their roles.
- Develop and deliver climbing classes for a range of age groups and abilities along with themed team-building sessions.
- Maintain high standards in the cleanliness and presentation of all areas.
Health and Safety
- Ensure procedures are in place associated with all facilities legal and other obligations including fire safety, building, structures, building accessibility, mechanical and electrical building engineering services, catering, food hygiene, and activities.
- Implement and regularly review procedures and make recommendations for improvements to policies, procedures and systems on a timely basis.
- Ensure High Rise is a safe and welcoming environment for all and complies with all relevant Health and Safety legislation, Child Protection and Vulnerable Adults guidelines and best practice.
- Be a Health and Safety Officer for the site ensuring all Health and Safety checks are scheduled, completed and recorded.
- Be a First Aider with overall responsibility for administering first aid in the event of an accident.
- Co-ordinate and manage first aid and fire safety representatives and ensure additional staff are adequately trained.
- Effectively communicate rules on all relevant health and safety matters and ensure staff receive adequate training appropriate for their job.
- Organise and deliver relevant internal staff training.
- Ensure all health and safety issues are kept up to date (First aid kits, risk assessments, control of substances hazardous to health).
- Ensure all appropriate risk assessments are carried out on a regular basis and reviewed after any accidents or near misses in the centre.
- Identify potential hazards, log and report all incidents/accidents in accordance with reporting procedures, ensuring appropriate investigations are carried out, records kept in line with relevant legislation and reports made to the relevant authorities if required.
- Implement and regularly review an emergency action plan for the centre and carry out regular tests of the emergency procedures, fire exits and fire evacuation procedures ensuring all staff are fully trained to assist guests to safely exit the building.
- Oversee the maintenance and safety of all facilities and equipment including daily and monthly safety checks on climbing walls, soft play area, sensory rooms, café and toilets and complete relevant documentation such as inspection logs as required.
- Ensure CCTV footage of accidents and incidents is properly downloaded and saved in line with both company procedures and relevant Data Protection legislation.
- Ensure the alarm and security systems are tested regularly and report any issues to the alarm company promptly.
- Ensure all internal and external facilities are properly maintained to the highest possible standard through overseeing regular inspections, day to day repairs, maintenance, groundskeeping and external service contracts.
- Oversee the maintenance of the car parks ensuring they are safe and free from obstructions or litter, and adequately gritted in bad weather.
- Oversee all aspects of cleaning, waste management and pest control.
- Ensuring the lighting and heating systems are working efficiently and arrange for maintenance where required.
- Ensure all premises and systems meet government regulations and environmental, health and security standards.
- Always ensure excellent standards of customer service.
- Present a professional appearance and attitude, always maintaining an excellent standard of customer service and dealing effectively with any guest issues or complaints, escalating if appropriate, and review feedback to inform improvements.
- Ensure all staff are trained and confident in supporting guests who have additional needs or a disability to ensure that they have the best possible experience in the centre
- Liaise with stakeholders to promote and market High Rise to maximise revenue and represent the organisation at external events.
- Ensure staff and guests are aware of the procedures for giving feedback on their experience and that results are communicated with staff.
- Be responsible for opening and/or closing the centre as required
- Comply with the organisation’s Key Holder Roles and Responsibilities policy
- Comply with the organisation’s Security & Confidentiality policy, ensuring the highest levels of information security, data protection and confidentiality.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties appropriate to the achievement of the organisation’s aims and objectives.
This job description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and may be reviewed depending upon operational requirements and staffing levels.
Personal Specification – Operations Manager
- Relevant 3rd level qualification in Health and Safety or working towards (NEBOSH/IOSH preferred) plus
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience gained during the last 5 years working in a similar role to include facilities management and building maintenance, Health and Safety management, carrying out risk assessments and training staff to develop H&S knowledge
- Thorough and up to date knowledge of relevant Health & Safety legislation, Fire Regulations and best practice
- Previous experience of managing a team within the sports and leisure industry
- Previous climbing experience either within a work or leisure capacity (specific Clip ‘n Climb training will be provided).
- Confident working to heights of up to 10 metres and physically capable to meet the demands of the role.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills at management level.
- Able to demonstrate initiative and work unsupervised, with good organisational skills and ability to prioritise and multi task.
- Possess a positive ‘Can Do’ attitude and an outgoing, enthusiastic and friendly manner and willing to take on other duties in the centre as required.
- Ability to work flexible, unsocial hours and to travel at times demanded by the job
- First Aid at work
- Competitive salary
- 30 days holiday including bank holiday
- Generous staff discount
- Free uniform
- Free on site car parking
This post is subject to a basic criminal record disclosure check. This will be applied for through AccessNI.
If you are interested in applying for this post please forward your CV here.