Job Title: Receptionist/Office Administrator
Reporting to: Office Manager
Responsible to: Financial Controller
Salary: £22,369 – £24,054 (NJC Scale 4)
Contracted hours: 37.5 per week (Monday to Friday 9am-5pm)
Contract type: Permanent (office based)
Conditions: A six-month probationary period applies.
Employers For Childcare is one of Northern Ireland’s largest and most successful Social Enterprises and charities. Our profitable Social Enterprise businesses fund the work of our charity and we are proud to have been 100% self-financing since 2008. It’s an exciting time in our development, with the reopening and expansion of our newest business, High Rise, a family indoor adventure centre. As a result of this growth, we are now recruiting for our administrative team, who provide support across the organisation.
Joining the Employers For Childcare team, you’ll benefit from a competitive salary together with a wide range of benefits including generous holiday entitlement, company pension scheme, health care cash back scheme, onsite parking, staff discount in High Rise and the opportunity for training, personal and professional development and career progression.
The post holder will work as part of a busy, highly focused and professional team providing full general and financial administration services within the organisation including responsibility for reception, filing, equipment maintenance, operational duties and excellent customer service. The post holder may be transferred to other departments within the organisation if required.
Direct Customer Service
- Greet clients upon arrival, provide tea/coffee, and direct as appropriate.
- Organise catering arrangements for meetings.
- Operate switchboard and answering machine, answer enquiries and direct incoming calls to internal extensions in a professional and efficient manner.
- Maintain a record of incoming calls and relay messages in a timely and efficient manner.
- Professionally handle incoming calls and correspondence, prioritise and take appropriate action.
- Manage and organise the reception area and other general office areas ensuring a tidy and safe work environment by completing a Daily Checklist.
- Accurately type, edit (when necessary) and present correspondence and reports to a professional standard.
- Process incoming and outgoing mail on a daily basis, including distributing mail internally and maintaining post book records.
- Provide a comprehensive administration service, using a range of computer packages, including Microsoft Word, Access, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook.
- Establish, maintain and develop computerised and manual filing systems and movement schedules as required.
- Be responsible for stock levels and make monthly orders as required.
- Assist with administrative arrangements for courses, seminars and other training and development activities.
- Understanding of the need for confidentiality and demonstrate experience in dealing with confidential matters.
- Assist with administration of opting-in forms, eg placing orders on system and returning forms by an agreed date in the month.
- Replying to basic voucher queries/ requests on the voucher system and on email.
- Set up new childcare provider records on voucher software and complete eligibility checks as necessary.
- Process orders for childcare vouchers, including checking value of vouchers and payment details, and recording all payments in the appropriate format.
- Respond to queries from parents, employers or childcare providers with regard to their childcare voucher account.
- Carry out desk research as necessary, via internet etc, for example to keep up-to-date with services offered by other childcare voucher providers.
IT & Equipment Support
- Check and maintain photocopier and all printers for consumables replacements, toners etc.
- Maintain records on equipment faults and book maintenance visits as directed by Line Manager
Communication, Personnel and Organisational Development
- Participate in regular staff training and development activities on company services, operating systems, processes and procedures and contribute to same.
- Acquire and retain in-depth knowledge of existing and new company services.
- Work flexibly and across teams and organisational functions as required.
- Participate in external promotional events at times and venues required including evenings and weekends, and travel as required to meet the needs of the organisation.
- Demonstrate a calm, controlled, pleasant and warm manner with all clients and colleagues.
- Display a flexible and cooperative approach at all times, treating all clients and colleagues with courtesy and respect.
- Train colleagues in general duties of post in order to ensure organisation has adequate cover in times of need.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties appropriate to the achievement of the organisation’s goals and targets.
- Comply with the organisation’s Security & Confidentiality policy at all times, ensuring the highest levels of information security, data protection and confidentiality.
This job description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and may be reviewed depending upon operational requirements and staffing levels.
The personnel specification shows essential skills, abilities, knowledge and/or qualifications required to be able to carry out the duties of this post.
Qualifications and Experience
- Applicants must have a good standard of education to include GCSE English and Maths grade C or above (or equivalent)
- A Minimum of 2 years full time paid work experience in a related role gained during the last 5 years to include general and financial administration, receptionist duties including direct face to face customer service and by telephone.
Or a minimum of 5 years work based experience as above.
- Computer literate to include use of word processing, PowerPoint, desk top publishing and excel spreadsheets; experience in using multi-media facilities including internet and electronic mailing and experience of establishing and maintaining databases and recording systems.
Skills and Aptitude
- Good telephone communication etiquette
- Good organisational skills, including ability to multitask, prioritise workload and work to strict deadlines.
- Good administrative skills including ability to maintain and update records and files.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and on own initiative.
- An understanding of team working and providing support
- Understand the need for confidentiality and demonstrate experience in dealing with confidential matters
Knowledge and Understanding
- Knowledge and understanding of the work of Employers For Childcare.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Full driving licence and access to a car with business insurance for work purposes.
- Ability to travel throughout Northern Ireland, UK and elsewhere at times demanded by the job.
We reserve the right to enhance criteria at shortlisting stage
Fair Employment and Equal Opportunities Statement
Employers For Childcare is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, gender (including gender reassignment status), sexual orientation, religious belief, political opinion, marital status, age or disability.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. However, as men are currently under-represented in our workforce, we would particularly welcome applications from men. All appointments will be made on merit.
- CVs for this role will be considered immediately upon receipt with a view to appointing the right candidate asap.
- Please note the post will remain open until an appointment has been made and may close in advance of the advertised closing date.
- To upload your CV please click here