We are recruiting for a Financial Controller to join our Senior Management Team, either on an employed or self-employed basis.
They will be responsible for developing financial plans, budgets, forecasts and analysis to ensure an efficient and cost-effective organisation. They will be involved in the preparation of the company accounts for the current operations and for new and emerging business divisions. They will support the Chief Executive in financial analysis for strategic decision-making purposes and will be responsible for bringing financial leadership and innovation to the Senior Management Team.
- Contribute as a member of SMT to the development and ongoing review of corporate strategy and delivery of Employers For Childcare’s business plans.
- Develop a 3-5 year strategic plan for the commercial function to deliver the business needs.
- Lead on identifying and implementing internal and external commercial opportunities, including business growth, cost saving initiatives, revenue generation, and internal operational efficiencies.
- Identify business risks and areas where the business can deliver cost reductions.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual management accounts within a tight time frame and provide insightful analysis and commentary on variances.
- Prepare management reports on a regular and ad hoc basis to support proposed strategic decisions.
- Work closely with other members of SMT, interpreting and analysing their departmental results and help develop action plans.
- Preparation of annual budgets and forecasting for new emerging businesses.
- Prepare financial analysis and present to quarterly board meetings.
- Assist with year-end audit and liaising with auditors.
- Ensure that the finance function has robust and compliant processes that can scale up as the business grows, producing timely, accurate financial information, ensuring disciplined financial controls and identifying opportunities for improving efficiencies within the function.
- Manage all finance processes including the production of statutory accounts, month end accounting processes, consolidation of the profit and loss account, balance sheet analysis, conducting cost variance analysis – actual versus budget, sales targets analysis and ensure internal controls are applied.
- Lead and support the finance team in implementing continuous improvement opportunities across all aspects of the organisation.
- Liaise with bank manager to discuss and manage financing arrangements.
- Liaise with insurers to ensure adequate insurance is in place for the organisation.
- Liaise with other key stakeholders as and when required.
- Be responsible for managing staff performance.
- Offer ongoing support and supervision to staff and ensure annual appraisals and training needs analysis are carried out within agreed timescales.
- Monitor daily workload of team members to ensure quality, consistency and accuracy of responses to and interaction with clients.
- Ensure all team members are fully trained and perform to agreed standards and targets.
- Collate information, analysis reports and present summary in agreed format as and when agreed to SMT.
- Comply with the organisation’s Key Holder Roles and Responsibilities policy.
- Responsible for opening and/or closing the office when required.
- Comply with the organisation’s Security & Confidentiality policy at all times, ensuring the highest levels of information security, data protection and confidentiality.
This job description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and may be reviewed depending upon operational requirements and staffing levels.
Personnel specification – essential criteria
Qualifications and experience
- Applicants must be fully qualified accountants (ACA/ACCA/CIMA)
- Strong finance operations experience with a minimum 5 years’ post-qualification experience including:
- management accounting experience with a commercial element
- experience of producing and presenting robust financial projections with integrated profit and loss, balance sheet and cash flow statements
- board level reporting and provision of commentary to support decision-making.
- Experience of accountancy and payroll software.
Skills and aptitudes
- Strong personal integrity.
- Has a strategic outlook and is forward thinking in their approach.
- Excellent commercial focus with the capability of applying focus to innovate and solve problems in order to achieve results.
- Excellent negotiation, influencing and relationship building skills both internally and externally.
- Strong leadership and management skills with ability to promote and drive functional strategies and operational excellence.
- Excellent organisational skills including ability to prioritise workload and work to strict deadlines.
- Good administration and IT skills including ability to maintain and update records and files.
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to communicate financial performance of a business to non-financial people
- Full driving license and access to a car.
- This post is subject to enhanced criminal record disclosure checks and security vetting.
- All candidates must evidence an existing right to work in the UK.
We reserve the right to enhance criteria at shortlisting stage.
Why join us?
- Award winning organisation including Northern Ireland Social Enterprise of the Year 2019
- Excellent career progression opportunities
- Tailored learning and development plan
- Employer pension contributions
- Flexible hybrid working available
- Health cash plan to help with costs such as dental and optician visits etc
- Social events throughout the year
- Generous holiday allowance
- Time Off In Lieu (TOIL) for additional hours worked
- Free onsite car parking and tea/coffee
Fair Employment and Equal Opportunities Statement
Employers For Childcare is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, gender (including gender reassignment status), sexual orientation, religious belief, political opinion, marital status, age or disability.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. However, as men are currently under-represented in our workforce, we would particularly welcome applications from men. All appointments will be made on merit.
To apply for this post please submit your CV here.