The postholder will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day activities of the members of the finance team with the support of the Financial Controller. They will work as part of a busy, highly focused and professional team providing accurate financial administration, excellent customer service, advice, guidance and query resolution to the organisation and its clients.
- Be responsible for managing staff performance of a small Finance team.
- Offer ongoing training, support and supervision to staff and ensure annual appraisals and training needs analysis are carried out within agreed timescales.
- Monitor daily workload of team members to ensure quality, consistency and accuracy of responses to and interaction with clients.
- Ensure all team members are performing to agreed standards, targets and deadlines.
- Collate information, analysis reports and present summary in agreed format as and when agreed to Financial Controller
Preparation of monthly management accounts information
- Supervision/ preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Responsibility for financial reporting including P&L and balance sheets.
- Support the Financial Controller with the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual management accounts within a tight time frame.
- Ad hoc accounting duties as required.
- Adhere to operational procedures and ensure all financial processes are being followed.
- Manage an effective credit control and purchase ledger systems to ensure payments are made/received in line with our terms and conditions and liaise with the Financial Controller where problems arise.
- Maintain by category a register of all assets purchased and ensure adequate depreciation is provided in the management accounts.
- Maintain a suitable filing system for ease of audit and security.
- Liaise with auditors to assist them in their audit including ensuring that all records of income and expenditure are available to them.
- Assist Financial Controller with preparing weekly/monthly/quarterly and ad hoc reports for the CEO, Finance Committee and Board.
- Maintain a record of information relating to legal and insurance issues and liaise with appropriate organisations as required.
- Manage and supervise all banking activities.
- Prepare and submit quarterly group VAT returns, inc. reconciliation to SAGE and payments to HMRC.
- Supervise preparation and processing of monthly payroll, pension submissions and HMRC payments.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties appropriate to the achievement of the organisations goals and targets.
- Comply with the organisation’s Security & Confidentiality policy at all times, ensuring the highest levels of information security, data protection and confidentiality.
This job description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and may be reviewed depending upon operational requirements and staffing levels.
Personnel specification – essential criteria
Qualifications and experience
- Qualified accountant (or qualified by experience) with at least 3 years relevant experience working in a similar role to include financial administration, bank and cash reconciliations, credit control, month end processes, VAT returns, payroll and pension processing, preparation of management accounts.
- Previous experience of managing a small team.
- Excellent working knowledge of a computerised accounting package which uses nominal ledger, sales and purchase ledger invoice processing.
- Extensive use of Microsoft Office, advanced Excel (pivot tables, V-lookups), web based systems, internet, email, databases and word processing (evidence will be required at interview stage).
Skills and aptitude
- Strong time management and organisational skills including ability to prioritise workload and work to strict deadlines.
- Ability to work with figures with strong attention to detail and focus on accuracy.
- This post is subject to enhanced criminal record disclosure checks and security vetting.
- All candidates must evidence an existing right to work in the UK.
We reserve the right to enhance criteria at shortlisting stage.
Why join us?
- Award winning organisation including Northern Ireland Social Enterprise of the Year 2019
- Excellent career progression opportunities
- Tailored learning and development plan
- Employer pension contributions
- Flexible hybrid working available
- Health cash plan to help with costs such as dental and optician visits etc
- Social events throughout the year
- Generous holiday allowance
- Time Off In Lieu (TOIL) for additional hours worked
- Free onsite car parking and tea/coffee
Fair Employment and Equal Opportunities Statement
Employers For Childcare is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, gender (including gender reassignment status), sexual orientation, religious belief, political opinion, marital status, age or disability.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. However, as men are currently under-represented in our workforce, we would particularly welcome applications from men. All appointments will be made on merit.
To apply for this post please submit your CV here.